1 John 3.
We know what real love is because Christ gave up his life for us. And so we also ought to give up our lives for our Christian brothers and sisters. 1 John 3: 16 NLT
The harder we look at the cross, making it the lens through which we see life, the more Jesus' command to "love one another" will become our natural response.
Jesus died to cleanse us from our sins, especially our failure to love God and others as we should. This love includes:
- laying down your life for another person
- showing up and taking action
- treating a sinful person with warmth instead of condemnation
- telling someone a hard truth with a tender heart
- forgiving someone who harms you
1. What specific things has Jesus done that demonstrate his love for you?
2. In what ways have these acts of love motivated you to love other people?
3. Write the name of a person or persons whom you have recently failed to love in one of these ways. What can you do in the next week to begin to show Jesus' love to them?
4. Write a prayer to God, asking for forgiveness for your failure to love as Jesus loved you, and for help in following through with your commitment to try again.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus . . . He humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross! Philippians 2: 5, 8